[MPlayer-users] mencoder, x264, vorbis, matroska - bad a/v sync problems

matthew.garman at gmail.com matthew.garman at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 17:02:49 CET 2007

I'm using a procedure similar to the one linked below to rip DVDs (I
own the DVDs).  The intent is to use H.264 (x264) for the video,
vorbis for the audio, and mux it into a Matroska container:

    http://www.smorgasbord.net/howto_rip_dvds_in_mpeg_4_avc_x264_multi_audio_subtitles_matroska

I'm having pretty bad A/V sync problems, particularly with TV
episodes. So far I've experimented with the H264+Vorbis in the
Matroska container with Batman Begins (the movie) and episodes of
House, MD season 2.

With Batman Begins, the A/V was almost perfectly in sync, possibly
so little that I can live with it.

House on the other hand is awful---the A/V sync is unbearable.

Based on the research I've done, I've been able to find the
following suggestions, all of which I've tried, but have not helped:

    * Use "harddup" as the last argument to my -vf filter chain
    * Use -mo 0 in my mencoder commands
    * Use -noskip in my mencoder commands
    * Use -oac copy when encoding the video

Of course, if I play these episodes directly from the DVD with
mplayer, the audio and video is perfectly sync'ed.

I know there's ways to manually tweak the sync while muxing, but I'd
really like this fully automated, as I intend to batch process all
my DVDs with a script.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or ideas.

Thanks!
Matt

p.s. I also posted this message to Doom9's forum:

    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=122018

MG