[MPlayer-users] can't select DVD titles with mencoder

Steve Kleene skmpl at syrano.acb.uc.edu
Fri Feb 9 15:07:28 CET 2007

On 8 Feb 2007, Alejandro Vargas <alejandro.anv at gmail.com> wrote:

> If mplayer can play it with mplayer /dev/dvd you could convert it to
> avi or dump the stream to a file and process it later, cutting it with
> mplayer or using avidemux.

Yes.  I did several tests with DVD-RW in VR mode and in Video mode.  In VR
mode, there is no DVD menu, so lsdvd fails and mencoder is unable to select a
title.  Mounting the DVD doesn't allow me to see individual titles either.
However, I can do a raw dump of /dev/dvd.  Then I get all the titles in
sequence, including some that I supposedly had erased.  As you say, I can
clip out what I need from that.

If I record in Video mode on a DVD-RW, there is a DVD menu, so lsdvd works
and mencoder can select titles.  But I can't go this route for recording my
experiments, because this combination doesn't allow me to lay down chapter
marks.

Apparently DVD+RW in Video mode will have a DVD menu and also allow chapter
marking.  I'll track down some DVD+RW discs and find out.

Thanks for helping me figure this out.