[MPlayer-users] Problem playing DVD movie, quality issue -- can expert help?

Sara Glade saraglade at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 9 18:47:06 CET 2007

REGARDING FILTERING OPTIONS

>> man mplayer, aka RTFM

Say what?

RTFM, that stands for, if anybody doesn't know, "READ THE {CURSE WORD} MANUAL".  Hard to ignore that noise.  But, maybe you can use a nicer approach to any soft ears, ladies or children who might be reading this thread..... that would be helpful.

Ok, I already did read it prior to posting and maybe someone can provide a more thoughtful response..... that would be great.

See cut and pasted section below directly from nice manual,

14.1.6 Filtering... indicates & uses terms "Variety of Filters Available" and "Primary Examples", however, beyond the scope of this does not provide more than discreet examples.  I am sorry, but this is fact.  Don't shoot the messenger.

I would very much like to try all the filters on for size if anyone has a catalog of what is possible..... and maybe I can determine which is best using my eyes.  That would be great.

If I am simply ignoring or missing something from the manual or it is something blocking me, I would appreciate a honest answer.  Thank you so much.

Have a very nice day -- and thank you for making this easier. :D  Sara.

14.1.6. Filtering

Learning how to use MEncoder's video filters
is essential to producing good encodes.
All video processing is performed through the filters -- cropping,
scaling, color adjustment, noise removal, sharpening, deinterlacing,
telecine, inverse telecine, and deblocking, just to name a few.
Along with the vast number of supported input formats, the variety of
filters available in MEncoder is one of its
main advantages over other similar programs.

Filters are loaded in a chain using the -vf option:

-vf filter1=options,filter2=options,...

Most filters take several numeric options separated by colons, but
the syntax for options varies from filter to filter, so read the man
page for details on the filters you wish to use.

Filters operate on the video in the order they are loaded.
For example, the following chain:

-vf crop=688:464:12:4,scale=640:464

will first crop the 688x464 region of the picture with upper-left
corner at (12,4), and then scale the result down to 640x464.

Certain filters need to be loaded at or near the beginning of the
filter chain, in order to take advantage of information from the
video decoder that will be lost or invalidated by other filters.
The principal examples are pp (postprocessing, only
when it is performing deblock or dering operations),
spp (another postprocessor to remove MPEG artifacts),
pullup (inverse telecine), and
softpulldown (for converting soft telecine to hard telecine).

In general, you want to do as little filtering as possible to the movie
in order to remain close to the original DVD source. Cropping is often
necessary (as described above), but avoid to scale the video. Although
scaling down is sometimes preferred to using higher quantizers, we want
to avoid both these things: remember that we decided from the start to
trade bits for quality.

Also, do not adjust gamma, contrast, brightness, etc. What looks good
on your display may not look good on others. These adjustments should
be done on playback only.

One thing you might want to do, however, is pass the video through a
very light denoise filter, such as -vf hqdn3d=2:1:2.
Again, it is a matter of putting those bits to better use: why waste them
encoding noise when you can just add that noise back in during playback?
Increasing the parameters for hqdn3d will further
improve compressibility, but if you increase the values too much, you
risk degrading the image visibily. The suggested values above
(2:1:2) are quite conservative; you should feel free to
experiment with higher values and observe the results for yourself.