[MPlayer-users] slightly OT - converting divx files

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Wed Aug 29 21:43:30 CEST 2007

Daniel Harris wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I have been experiencing problems when converting divx files to dvd.  The
> problem seems to be the divx files are usually encoded with a frame fate of
> 23.9 but I try to set them to 25fps to watch on a pal dvd.  The conversion
> process makes the dvd freeze slightly every now and again on playback.  What
> is the correct way to do this type of conversion to ensure smooth playback
> on dvd/tv.
>
> Thanks in advance for any feedback..
>
> I must admit that for the conversion process I usually use ffmpeg.

That depends on what you mean with "every now and again".

Playing 23.9 (or 24) fps as 25 fps would meen a freeze every second, as
one frame has to be shown twice as long as the other ones. Normal TV
sets do some special interleaving, so you see two half frames per second
twice.

What's usually done is speeding up the video to 25 frames, thus making
the sound half a note higher and the video 4% shorter, where such
jittering should not occur. As what the steps are to achieve this with
mencoder I'm not all that familiar now.

If you're even stuck with 29.9 fps NTSC content, the things are even
more complicated, since you have to create again a 23.9 fps video and
then go the same way as before.
This is only possible if your input video was created from a 24fps
source, as then in a 29.9fps video 6 frames are simply duplicates from
others (or 12 half-frames). If its natively shot in 29.9 fps, you have
to drop either 6 frames and speed up the thing or drop 5 frames and
retain the original speed.

--
cheers,
Alex