[MPlayer-users] Subtitles issue...

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sun Aug 12 22:58:06 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 10:46:16AM +0200, Warpme wrote:
> For movies with 23,976fps and MicroDVD formatted subtitles mplayer has
> problems with proper subs synchronization. In past I was thinking that it
> is problem of my subtitles files ? but after tests with VLC I see that
> source of problem is mplayer, not bad timing in subs file.

No, your subtitles are for a different fps than your video file uses.
VLC recognizes the fps the subs were made for by a subtitle of the form
"{1}{1}number" and converts things accordingly.

[...]
> Honestly speaking I don?t understand this issue ? MicroDVD is frame-number
> based format ? so in theory it should be independent on movie fps. But in
> my case synchro problem is manifesting only in 23,976fps movies ? so it is
> IS fps dependent. Why ?

How could it be fps-independent? If you have a 25 and a 30 fps movie,
frame number 100 can't contain the same thing, otherwise the 30 fps
variant would be playing 20% faster!

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger