[MPlayer-users] Segfault core dump over innocently missing GLX

debcoder at trashymail.com debcoder at trashymail.com
Tue Aug 7 11:20:16 CEST 2007

Well, I tried to be helpful ... sorry to be so, ah, "worthless" ...
anyway ... mp3blaster works.

To my mind this bug doesn't even need symbols.  Just don't crash when
there's no GLX at startup.  MPlayer and VLC are not the only programs
doing this.  It's one of those error checks that devs skip because it's
so boring.

"mplayer -vo null" gives the same crash.

To Reimar Döffinger, the 1.0-96xx driver is not outdated.  For certain
nVidia boards, this *is* the driver you're supposed to use, and is only
a few months old.  Many Ubuntu people hit the same bug.  I merely
confirmed it.

"I doubt that is the same bug, unless it is a bug somewhere else in your
system."  Hmm.  Well, programs that do check GLX status and return
signals work.  Also, Google shows other nVidia users in years past hit
similar problems with multiple audio-visual programs crashing over GL
issues.

Can't I just use the open source driver?  It's 3x slower than nVidia's
for scrolling windows and such, so 3D is not the only issue.  But why
they heck do I need 3D to watch 2D video anyhow...

Well, do what you guys want with it.  I'm not going to argue.  Thanks to
Robert Bradbury for good common sense.

Bye now.