[MPlayer-users] trying to convert MJPEG

Steve Kleene skmpl at syrano.acb.uc.edu
Sun Apr 15 20:17:04 CEST 2007

I'm working with a video file (lizard.avi) from an older digital camera.  It
has uncompressed PCM audio and motion JPEG video.  It plays fine with
mplayer.  I am trying to re-encode it with mencoder, thinking that better
video encoding might reduce the file size.

What I'd like to do is the following:

mencoder lizard.avi -oac twolame \
  -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video:vbitrate=2000:mbd=2:trell \
  -of rawvideo -o output.mpg

I chose this encoding because it is one of the few that seems to play on most
of the XP machines my relatives will be using.

The encoding fails with:

  ae_twolame, 1 audio channel, forcing mono mode
  twolame_get_samplerate_index: 11024 is not a legal sample rate
  Not a valid samplerate: 11024

Any ideas on how to make this work (or whether I can even expect to reduce
the file size with better encoding)?  Thanks.