[MPlayer-users] Encode HD to lower resolution to play without "your system is too SLOW"

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Tue Apr 10 23:24:05 CEST 2007

Hans du Plooy wrote:
>>> This file is ~90 secs - try to play it ~30-40 secs and you will see "your
>>> system is too SLOW" message (if you're not using '-really-quiet' or
>>> similar shut-up option). If not, it's a _real_ _miracle_.
>>>
>> He is probably using -lavdopts skiploopfilter=all. Wihout it my 2.6ghz A64
>> can barely play this at 90-95% cpu consumption and with occasional
>> framedrops here and there. skiploopfilter drops cpu to 60-65%, so 1.8ghz
>> should be just enough.
>
> Nope, I only use:
>
> mplayer bbc_1080p.mov -vo x11
>
> I did notice, if I run it over and over, now and then I get the "too
> slow" message, but I don't see any visible effects on the screen.  Pity
> the file doesn't have speech, otherwise I could have seen if the sound
> actually stays in sync.

Take a look at the status line, at the A-V indicator (audio-video
synchronization). You'll see the indicator value grow when the video is
difficult to decode and your system can't keep up; when the video is
easy, the value will shrink. Here's a line where there's lots of desync.

A:  35.7 V:  25.4 A-V: 10.238 ct:  0.023 762/762 126%  0%  1.9% 516 0

> If I pass -nosound it doesn't do the "too slow"
> at all, even if I do other stuff at the same time.

The warning message triggers if the A-V sync gets too far off; with no
audio, there is no sync, so the message never shows.

  -Corey