[MPlayer-users] Encode HD to lower resolution to play without "your system is too SLOW"

Hans du Plooy koffiejunkielistlurker at koffiejunkie.za.net
Tue Apr 10 17:18:08 CEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 16:21 +0300, Nick Koretsky wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 16:31:43 +0400
> Dmitry Antipov <dmantipov at yandex.ru> wrote:
> > This file is ~90 secs - try to play it ~30-40 secs and you will see "your
> > system is too SLOW" message (if you're not using '-really-quiet' or
> > similar shut-up option). If not, it's a _real_ _miracle_.
> >

> He is probably using -lavdopts skiploopfilter=all. Wihout it my 2.6ghz A64
> can barely play this at 90-95% cpu consumption and with occasional
> framedrops here and there. skiploopfilter drops cpu to 60-65%, so 1.8ghz
> should be just enough.

Nope, I only use:

mplayer bbc_1080p.mov -vo x11

I did notice, if I run it over and over, now and then I get the "too
slow" message, but I don't see any visible effects on the screen.  Pity
the file doesn't have speech, otherwise I could have seen if the sound
actually stays in sync.  If I pass -nosound it doesn't do the "too slow"
at all, even if I do other stuff at the same time.

I guess in my case my notebook is just fast enough to do this.  If I run
it under openbox, it works fine, if I run it under KDE I have to make
sure nothing else is running.  I don't know how much difference CPU
cache and system memory make - I have 1mb cache and 2gb mem.

Hans