[MPlayer-users] dvd play problem (scrambled)

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Tue Apr 3 15:40:40 CEST 2007

Adrian Grajdeanu wrote:
> keys for this disk were already cached in ~/.dvdcss/CHARLOTTE_DISC1-...
Ah, the Code Name for Star Wars EP III :)

OTOH: I have a few DVDs I don't seem to be able to crack the key on some
of the Titles. Whilst all other titles play well, mplayer takes about
half a minute trying to break the key for say Title 17, but then bails
out printing "failing to crack key ... something"

As this key is then not stored in the disc cache (~/.dvdcss), everytime
I try to play a title from this dvd, I get the same waiting and the same
error. A few examples are some german minor label DVDs, but also the
Canadian Collector's Edition for "Ginger Snaps".

Isn't libdvdcss supposed to crack any of them, with a fallback to brute
force in case everything else fails?

Could this also be related to setting the region code? Still is this
necessary? I never booted any RC-Aware software (or OS running it) on
this computer, it was linux from the get-go). I still have to play both
RC1 and RC2 (which I don't really assume is a problem once the region is
set, but someone might enlighten me here...)

To complete this message, the same occurs with both my DVD drives (where
one happens to be a DVD writer). Of course none of them have any region
set, so this might be a problem, but I'd still be interested in the
technical background as to why the RC has to be set in the first place.

Cheers,
Alex