[MPlayer-users] dvd play problem (scrambled)

Adrian Grajdeanu adriang0 at cox.net
Tue Apr 3 15:30:32 CEST 2007

Problem solved!

I was using the same software (same distribution, same list of packages
at same versions) on both computers, in one this particular DVD worked,
in the other it didn't. So what is there to do?? I suspected a hardware
problem...

I figured I need to debug libdvdcss. I found on the net the following trick:

apollo>export DVDCSS_VERBOSE=2
and for log producing purposes:
apollo>vobcopy -O VTS_07_01.VOB

and this produces lots of useful info. among those, the fact that the
keys for this disk were already cached in ~/.dvdcss/CHARLOTTE_DISC1-...
and that throughout the run, encoded blocks were found, for which there
was no key. So I deleted the cached keys and retried and ... everything
works perfectly now.

How did I end up with bad cache of keys??? Don't know. I used to have a
different set of packages installed (and maybe no libdvdcss??) and maybe
that was it. Maybe I started viewing and CTRL-C during the keys
aquisition phase? As I said, have no clue. But now it is fixed. Hope
this helps others...

And thanx to those on the list that took the time to read my verbose
presentation of the problem and came up with suggestions.

Cheers,
A.