[MPlayer-users] Re: problem reading dvd

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Mon Apr 2 20:31:18 CEST 2007

Amadeus W. M. wrote:

> Thanks for the hints. The dvd plays fine in vlc. The DVD is Bambi
> (special edition, 2cds). It's not in the ARccOS list, it is NTSC, North
> America.
>
> For my education, what kind of dvd is this that can be played with menu-
> software only, and why can't it be played by the standalone mplayer?

As it's Bambi, it is from Buena Vista, which also have developed an even
crappier protection than arccos.

The same protection mechanism was also implemented in the german Silent
Hill DVD, which uses in addition to the corrupted sectors even a
corrupted UDF and ISO file system, as the files are not found via normal
file system lookup.

I found no way to circumvent this, so I returned the DVD and got the UK
instead.

I don't know if Bambi uses the same protection, but I read that
Flightplan (RC1, also by Buena Vista) should use this very protection,
so it's not a far guess that the problems are related.

hth,
Alex