[MPlayer-users] Re: problem reading dvd

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Mon Apr 2 20:31:03 CEST 2007

Amadeus W. M. wrote:

> For my education, what kind of dvd is this that can be played with menu-
> software only, and why can't it be played by the standalone mplayer?

I don't know if this is the problem you are having with Bambi, but
Arccoss 'protected' movies have bad sectors deliberately inserted on the
  DVD.  When the dvd is played by compatible software that follows the
instructions embedded in the menu system, they are skipped over.  Any
device or software that tries to read the DVD data sequentially however,
will trip all over them.  (Unfortunately, Defective by design, in this
case, is more than an EFF (or was that FSF) catch phrase.)