[MPlayer-users] Re: SVN Compilation in Win XP (MinGW): LibTheora bug

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 2 14:50:58 CEST 2007

Alexander Bokovikov wrote:
>John Brown wrote:
>
>>If the configure script says that it was successful, then the next step is
>>to run "make". Have you actually tried to run make yet?
>
>Hi, John,
>
>So, I've come through configure and run make. Then an error message appears
>like I wrote earlier, related to the CR character, but now it occured in
>version.sh file.... So, I've understood, that cygwin is too hard for me...
>OK, you talked about MINGW. Well, I've downloaded all what is suggested in
>the "HOWTO" to begin: the MINGW, the MSYS and MSYS DTK.
>
>The only trouble I've found during installation was that the "make.exe" is
>missing in the MINGW bin directory, so, MSYS generated a warning at the
>very end of its installation. In fact the make executable was not renamed,
>as other files (e.g. c++ = mingw32-c++, etc.), so there is
>"mingw32-make.exe", but there is no "make.exe". It would be worth to
>mention this fact in "HOWTO". So, I've copied "mingw32-make.exe" to
>"make.exe" and have gone ahead.

The Mingw download does not include make; you have to download it separately
at the Mingw website. Ordinarily, it would be called make.exe and it would
be installed in the Mingw/bin directory. I think that they have changed
that, and now they call the Mingw make mingw32-make.exe.

Anyway, MSYS includes its own version of "make". This is also called
make.exe and installed in the MSYS bin directory (something like
c:\MSYS\1.0\bin). MSYS puts /mingw/bin before /bin (the MSYS bin) in the
PATH. This causes the Mingw "make" to be executed instead of the MSYS
"make", which is not what they want. So if MSYS finds make.exe in
/mingw/bin, it will rename it. If there is no "make" or it is not called
make.exe, it is not a problem, because MSYS has a make.exe, and wants to use
it instead of some other "make".

So copying mingw32-make to make.exe was not strictly correct. Actually, that
is one of the issues involved in building the MPlayer documentation  in
MSYS. The makefile depends on features in make 3.80, but the MSYS make is
3.79.

>Then at the very first steps, when I launched "./configure" for
>libogg.1.1.3, I've got an error message among other outputs of this script,
>saying something like: "Syntax error: unexpected end of file". But
>nevertheless script goes ahead and is terminated successfully, then I've
>launched "make", and "make install" for it, and all seems to be OK. So, I
>still don't know whether it was a significant error or just a script bug or
>whatever else.

I am not sure. It may be your <CR> issue again. If /mingw/lib/libogg.a and a
/mingw/include/ogg/ directory containing ogg.h and others exists, then it
worked.

>All other modules upto the step 4 (where I'm sitting now) have passed
>correctly. This is really good instruction, BTW! Though all scripts are
>working _very_ slowly_ in the MSYS console...

Yes, it is very slow. When I first compiled MPlayer on Linux, the configure
script finished in 12 seconds. It is not as quick as that now,  because I
have enabled a number of X-Windows related options. I have never timed it on
Windows, but it is *much* longer. I only timed it on Linux because I was
amazed that it ran so quickly.

>But I still have a hope to come though this process, at least it is more
>encouraging than cygwin!

To get up and running quickly, you can skip the installation of the various
libraries mentioned in the Mingw HOWTO, and just try to compile MPlayer
right now. As I said, the libraries are optional. Once you have the binary
codecs installed, MPlayer and MEncoder will still be able to do most things.

For example, the PNG, JPEG, and GIF libraries are needed so that you can
output a movie's frames as images in these formats, or combine a sequence of
images into a movie. You also need the PNG library to take screen shots. If
you are only watching movies, then you don't need these libraries. MPlayer
will compile without them.

I think that you can live without freetype unless you need to view
subtitles.

As RC mentioned, MPlayer has built-in Theora support, so you do not need
that library.

Other libraries are needed for encoding movies, not playing them. I believe
that twolame/toolame and xvid are in this category, but don't quote me.

After you have compiled MPlayer, if you find that it cannot do what you
want, then you can install the necessary library, then configure and make
MPlayer again.