[MPlayer-users] Frame rate of MPLAYER

Florian Mickler deathmk at gmx.net
Sat Sep 30 22:40:11 CEST 2006

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 00:23:02 +0800
tonyli <tonyli at avantwave.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wonder how to test frame rate, as my mplayer runs under
> ARM-platform. It seems that the performance of video is not good.
>
> Thanks and best regards,
>
> Tony

Hi, I don't think that you would be especially interested in the
framerate of a video-playing software...

the framerate is depending upon the video you are playing,
because it just won't make any sense to display more frames than there
were recorded... (not like in "videogames", where the software
"creates" the pictures, and thus will probably display as much frames
as possible)

the only thing frame-rate wise that is interesting is the number of
dropped frames, i.e. the number of frames the player did not display
in order to keep in sync with the real time... (i think we don't have
to bother with relativity here *g*)

so, if you are interested in the performance of the
player-software, you would first determine if it is able to play the
video-material without dropping frames...
then secondly there is the cpu-usage while playing...

greets,
Florian