[MPlayer-users] TV recording: audio faster than video (drifts)!?

Christian Niederreiter cndg at gmx.net
Thu Sep 21 15:04:04 CEST 2006

> > Maybe I could record another but considerably shorter file instead
> > (10 to 50 MBytes)?
>
> Yes, that's fine.

I uploaded that file named "tv.avi" (11 MB) to MPlayer/incoming.

> > Transcode took MEncoder's "corrupted" file which contained the drift
> > and "repaired" it automagically (i didn't pass any option to
> > transcode). Hence somewhere in the file that came from MEncoder
> > transcode presumably could find some information on how to remove the
> > drift.
>
> Faulty conclusion.  I explained this in my first reply.  Transcode
> working on this video is just the "stopped clock" senario.  Transcode
> isn't any smarter, it's just luck that it works in this case.

But: When I extract the audio track to a WAV file using MPlayer,
then launch a media player to play the video and another one to play
the WAV file at the same time there is no drift any more (without
using transcode!). How would you explain this case?

> You should also be using the latest SVN revision, to see if this problem
> has been fixed.

Usually I install Debian packages because to compile software is often
very time consuming and requires dozens of "-dev" packages.
I thought MEncoder could handle a five-year-old TV card shortly before
I put it on the scrap heap.

best regards, cn

--
NEU: GMX DSL Sofort-Start-Set - blitzschnell ins Internet!
Echte DSL-Flatrate ab 0,- Euro* http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl