[MPlayer-users] TV recording: audio faster than video (drifts)!?

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Wed Sep 20 01:51:23 CEST 2006

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 15:25:50 +0200
"Christian Niederreiter" <cndg at gmx.net> wrote:

> Maybe I could record another but considerably shorter file instead
> (10 to 50 MBytes)?

Yes, that's fine.

> To avoid misunderstandings, the way I applied -mc was the following:
> mencoder tv://S11 -tv driver=v4l2:width=200:height=150:normid=0 -ovc
> lavc -oac lavc -o tv.avi -mc 0

Right, that won't help.  I was referring to playing (or reencode) the
output file with MPlayer/mencoder.

> and I don't want the playback software (e.g. VideoLAN, MPlayer,...) to
> countervail the drift but rather MEncoder to produce proper AVIs.

You have to find the problem before anything can be fixed.

> Transcode took MEncoder's "corrupted" file which contained the drift
> and "repaired" it automagically (i didn't pass any option to
> transcode). Hence somewhere in the file that came from MEncoder
> transcode presumably could find some information on how to remove the
> drift.

Faulty conclusion.  I explained this in my first reply.  Transcode
working on this video is just the "stopped clock" senario.  Transcode
isn't any smarter, it's just luck that it works in this case.

You should also be using the latest SVN revision, to see if this problem
has been fixed.