[MPlayer-users] Upconverting?

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 01:36:25 CEST 2006

> >> Just get latest SVN and recompile with:
> >>
> >> --enable-fairies
> >>
> >> Then try adding -vf fscale=1600:1200 (or any other resolution you
> >> might desire) to your command line.
> >
> > Gentoo's latest mplayer ebuild is apparently an SVN snapshot from
> > 08/10/2006 and doesn't seem to include a fairies USE flag for
> > compilation.  Was fairies support added after that date, or is the
> > ebuild missing a USE flag?
>
> Uhh...
>
> In case you're actually being serious: that was sarcasm.
>
> The whole point of the "fairies" bit was to emphasize that "to do what
> you're asking for would require magic". (Or at least a reasonable
> facsimile.)
>
> (Since I've been on another run of mistaken posts lately in various
> fora, I've just checked to be sure I haven't accidentally slipped into a
> parallel universe where such an option *does* exist; latest SVN
> configure does not contain the string "fairies".)

I've been gotten.

But obviously I'm not talking about adding information to the picture
that wasn't there to begin with.  It seems reasonable to me that if a
high-resolution TV is told what to display for each of its pixels, the
picture might be better than if it tries to extrapolate on its own.
That was the idea anyway.

All I'm trying to do is squeeze every benefit out of using a computer
to play back DVDs instead of a consumer device.  I guess that's funny?

- Grant