[MPlayer-users] xvidix and gui

The Eye mhellwig at gmx.at
Mon Sep 4 16:45:05 CEST 2006

Hi ..
running svn mplayer checkout on an old-ish gentoo installation (can't
change the system, it's not mine) here (svn version is from today).

chmoding the mplayer binary u+s works fine for making xvidix possible
when using the text-interface of mplayer (the card is a Rage Pro .. ok,
stop laughing now).

But no luck when using gmplayer. I saw gmplayer is a link to mplayer so
the permissions should be the same (or so I thought), but gmplayer just
says it doesn't have permission to do the pci scan required.

so I tried compiling that libdhahelper thing mentioned in the docs and
to modprobe it, but that fails with "invalid module format" (it's a
2.6.13-gentoo kernel).

my next try was to not start gmplayer but use mplayer -gui instead
(thinking that maybe the fact that I was executing a link to a SUIDed
binary instead of the binary itself removed the SUID-capability).
But it's still missing the required capabilities.

Then I tried removing the link and copying mplayer to gmplayer,
explicitly giving it u+s. But again, it refuses to run with xvidix.

So .. how do I do this? use xvidix while using gmplayer?

--
Michael Hellwig  aka  The Eye                 olymp.idle.at admin
   check out http://eyesun.dhs.org/key.html for gpg public key