[MPlayer-users] converting dumped audio stream to wav

Amadeus W. M. amadeus84 at verizon.net
Sat Oct 21 21:00:39 CEST 2006

I dumped an audio-only stream from an web radio station using mplayer.
I can play the dumped file ok with mplayer, but I'd like to convert it to
wav so I can cut and edit the file using e.g. audacity.

I skimmed through the docs, and I tried something like

mencoder -oac pcm -o /dev/null stream.dump

but it says
AAC file format detected.
Video stream is mandatory!

Exiting...

Is it possible to force mencoder to ignore the video stream?

If this is not possible with mencoder, is there any other tool that will
do what I want? (convert aac to wav or mp3).

Some info that mplayer reports on that file:

AAC file format detected.
Opening audio decoder: [faad] AAC (MPEG2/4 Advanced Audio Coding)
FAAD: compressed input bitrate missing, assuming 128kbit/s!
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 128.0 kbit/9.07% (ratio: 16000->176400)
Selected audio codec: [faad] afm: faad (FAAD AAC (MPEG-2/MPEG-4 Audio) decoder)
alsa-init: using device default
alsa: 48000 Hz/2 channels/4 bpf/65536 bytes buffer/Signed 16 bit Little Endian
AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
Starting playback...