[MPlayer-users] Re: Re: 2:3 pulldown from 29.970 fps source

T mlist4suntong at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 23 00:16:10 CET 2006

Thanks for the input,
I can see we could use some bit discussion here...

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 14:34:16 -0800, RC wrote:

>>  mencoder -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf -ovc lavc -lavcopts
>>  vcodec=mpeg2video:ilme:ildct:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=3600:vbit
>>  rate=3000:keyint=15:aspect=4/3 -oac lavc -lavcopts
>>  acodec=ac3:abitrate=224 -srate 48000 -af lavcresample=48000,volnorm
>>  -vf-add telecine,crop=704,pp=de -mc 0 -quiet -vf-add harddup -o
>>  test.mpg dvd://1
>
> You have two instances of -lavcopts, which is surely ruining
> everything....

Really?

I have seen people doing it. The reason that I do so is, my one -lavcopts
is for vcodec, and only for vcodec, the other is for acodec only. Are you
sure they'd ruin everything? Because I got the following, which is quite
to what I am expecting:

  Video stream: 3007.508 kbit/s  (375938 B/s)  size: ...
  Audio stream:  224.000 kbit/s  (28000 B/s)  size: ...

> You are using a filter (pp=de) AFTER the telecine step, which must be
> destroying the picture, as it isn't meant to operate on interlaced
> frames...
>
> You aren't using softskip (preferably very near the end of the filter
> chain) which may potentially cause problems.

Ok, Thanks

>> 	Too many video packets in the buffer: (4096 in 8263812 bytes).
>> 	Maybe you are playing a non-interleaved stream/file or the codec
>> 	failed? For AVI files, try to force non-interleaved mode with
>> 	the -ni option.
>
>  -mc 0 is probably causing the error message in question.  I would
> guess that's, because your input isn't 30fps.

I doubt that, my thinking is that -vf telecine is trying to put more video
packets in, it works well for 23.976 fps source but not 29.970 fps ones.

>> If omit the telecine, the file is 150% bigger than trancode rip
>> (23.976 fps),
>
> You haven't set ANY bitrate, so the default bitrate for transcode may
> just be lower...

hmm... I have vrc_maxrate=3600:vbitrate=3000, abitrate=224, which is what
I got, what do you mean I haven't set ANY bitrate? As for transcode, I use
the same bitrates, using the ffmpeg as the encoder.

> You also aren't using any quality-improving options in
> mencoder, so you should expect inordinately large files.  Read the
> HTML docs...

Do you mean:

  -lavcopts
  vcodec=mpeg2video:trell:mbd=2:precmp=2:subcmp=2:cmp=2:dia=-10:predia=-10:cbp:mv0:vqmin=1:lmin=1:dc=10

I tried that, the reason I omitted them is because 1) the result is
bigger, 2) the convert took much much longer and 3) I didn't notice much
more visual improvement. Ie. I want to scarify quality a little bit for
much speed gain.

>> which makes me believe the converted mpeg is real 29.970
>> fps, not flagged by pulldown settings..
>
> Yes, -vf telecine does hard telecining, which really increase the
> framerate by 20%.  For soft telecining, you want "-mpegopts
> telecine" .

Ok, Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)