[MPlayer-users] Re: video fine, but audio scratchy and distorted

Cooper Strange mplayerhq at chinacoop.net
Sat Nov 18 02:52:53 CET 2006

> ------------------------------
> Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 09:22:15 +0800
> From: Cooper Strange <mplayerhq at chinacoop.net>
> Subject: [MPlayer-users] video fine, but audio scratchy and
> distorted To: mplayer-users at mplayerhq.hu
>
> I run MPlayer on Fedora 6. I want to play DivX files. The video
> shows up just fine, but the sound comes across as a very (and I
> mean VERY) computer distorted sound. You can just barely tell the
> distortion is based on the original sound, but it is like the
> computer version of scratching fingernails on a chalk board.
>
> Of the video files I have, I can play ASF, WMV, and MOV with no
> problems. I have the sound/audio problem with MPEG (MPG) audio, it
> looks like. I had the problem both in an MPG file and the MPEG
> audio in DivX files.
>
> I searched the web for days and only found one other person who
>  seemed to have a problem like mine...here on this list. He seemed
> to have accidentally solved his problem, and not really knowing how
> he fixed it could not help much. I tried removing and reinstalling
> MPlayer. I installed the DivX codecs (thinking maybe the MPlayer I
> had did not have those codecs automatically).
>
> If it helps, here is what I get when I run "mplayer --version":
>
> MPlayer 1.0rc1-4.1.1 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
> CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor (Family: 6, Model: 4, Stepping: 2)
> CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 0 SSE2: 0
>
> Any ideas?
> ------------------------------

I tried compiling MPlayer from source, but ran into all kinds of new
problems trying to get that to work (which is another story). Then, I
checked to see if I had the same problem on Fedora Core 6 on my
laptop (Intel), and everything played fine with the standard MPlayer
package installed through yum. I am assuming it is just problems with
my Athlon or something else on my desktop, but I really do not have
the time to keep playing with it.

Thank you all for your help. At least reading through your feedback
made me try it out on my Intel laptop and find out one way to watch
those movies. I will just have to wait till the standard Fedora Core
6 MPlayer package works. I know for the hard core folks that sounds
lame, but that is a reality for me.