[MPlayer-users] Mplayer and vga2scart

wouter lists wouter.lists at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 21:02:52 CET 2006

Hi all,

I have connected my pc to my tv with a vga2scart cable. I live in a
PAL-land, so I added the following to my xorg.conf to produce a
PAL-signal:
Option      "IgnoreEDID"         "true"
Option      "ForceMinDotClock"   "15MHz"
 ModeLine "1024x576" 19.875 1024 1092 1140 1272 576 581 586 625 +hsync
+vsync interlace composite

I have to use to opensource radeon driver, because the fglrx driver
doesn't allow custome modelines. This outputs a 25hz interlaced
composite signal out of the vga port.

The specs of my system are:
Pentium 4 3Ghz with 1 Gb memory
Ati radeon X300
Debian Unstable x86_64 with Xorg 7.1.1

When playing an avi file (xvid or divx), I have the feeling that the
image is tearing a little bit. The files are ok. I have tested them on
another pc with windows and media player classic. I have the feeling
that they play much smoother on a windows pc.

I tried mplayer with different -vo modes: xv, gl, gl2. It doesn't make
any difference which -vo mode I choose.

It's definitively not a problem of cpu power. Cpu usage never goes above 20%.

Is the 'ForceMinDotClock' option having a bad influence on mplayer?

I don't know if it makes any difference, but I have to run my system
with the 'irqpoll' option. Otherwise goes my capture card nuts.

Are there other options that could solve my problem?

Thanks in advance,

Wouter