[MPlayer-users] dts in libavcodec not working

khayos khayos at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 08:33:34 CET 2006

> > I've been fighting off and on with libdts for awhile now, and have put
> > in some concentrated time on it for the last four hours or so because
> > I have a DVD rental (Sin City) which requires it.
>
> Really? I'll bet there are AC3 tracks as well. Try using -aid 128, -aid
> 129, etc. With some DVDs, mplayer defaults to the DTS track, but I
> haven't run across any yet that have DTS only.

There is an AC3 track, but it also produced no audio output, and
included in the mplayer output: "Audio: no sound".  I tried that early
on in the process just in case.

> > 3) ./configure && make && make install for libdts (aka libdca, from
> > videolan), no errors -- yields /usr/local/lib/libdts.a primarily
>
> Ok. You'll also need dts.h somewhere in gcc's include path (see below).

/usr/local/include/dts.h exists, so gcc's default include paths will work fine.

> > 4) mplayer: ./configure --enable-libdts --enable-win32 && make && make
> > install, no errors
>
> You shouldn't need to use --enable-libdts. MPlayer's configure will
> autodetect it. Please run './configure | grep dts' to see if configure
> is actually finding dts.h somewhere.

However, the only 'dts' mention from ./configure is:
"Checking for libdts support ... yes
    Codecs: qtx libdv libavcodec real xanim dshow/dmo win32
faad2(internal) faac musepack libmpeg2 libdts liba52 mp3lib libtheora
speex tremor(internal) libmad gif"
... no mention at all of dts.h

> You'd need to plug a DTS-capable amplifier into your sound card's
> digital output. I don't have such an amplifier, so I've never tried it.

Okay, I'll ignore that entirely then.

> > For curiosity's sake, my soundcard is:
> > 02:06.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! Game Port (rev 0a)
>
> You probably mean something like:
> 02:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 08)

Umm, yeah, that...

> Anyway, sblive cards are in general well supported in Linux. I have no
> problems playing DTS with my own.

Yeah, this is the first time I've ever encountered issues of any kind
with this soundcard.  My ESSSolo1 1969, on the other hand...