[MPlayer-users] Containers, GMC, PSNR, and doom9

Alexander Noe' alexander.noe at s2001.tu-chemnitz.de
Sun May 7 14:11:38 CEST 2006

The Wanderer schrieb:

> Right. That makes sense.
>
> I would, however, consider it preferable - and, I think, reasonable -
> for the user to have the option to choose to do it "correctly" (i.e.,
> with headers as stored in stream headers and chunks interleaved
> throughout the file) instead of "in the way which is supported by Media
> Player Classic"; I understand that you do not necessarily have the time
> to spend on random subprojects, but what are the chances that you might
> add something like this to AVI-Mux GUI?

The question would then be: What would be the use of this?

* It's highly unlikely that any hardware mpeg4 player will ever
support such a format -> no change
* people who don't want to use a hardware mpeg4 player can convert
their files to mkv easily and can play mkv files easily

So the only gain would be to have a nice proof-of-concept that is not
backward compatible to existing subtitle renderers and requires a lot
of tools to be updated, just because of a proof-of-concept.

IMHO, this is a real misrelation between gain and cost, especially
considering the amount of time I could spend on it atm...

Alex

--
„Der Horizont vieler Menschen ist ein Kreis mit dem Radius
Null – und das nennen sie dann ihren Standpunkt. (Albert