[MPlayer-users] corrupted movie file crashes mplayer

Ivan Kowalenko ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com
Thu May 4 09:27:00 CEST 2006

On May 3, 2006, at 15.46, Sandip Khara wrote:

> Hello mplayer team,
> Mplayer is my most favourite movie player. I have been using version
> 1.0pre7for a long time. It played quite well with all files. The only
> problem was
> with a corrupted mpg file --- independence_day.mpg.

Uhh, we don't need to know what the file is.

> This has been copied
> from a rented CD.

Or where it came from. Basically, what you just described is probably
illegal.

> A very little portion of the file except the rest is
> corrupted and there I just see colouring checks and sounds like
> ---- clitch
> clatch !!! Then I just see slanting coloured lines and the mplayer
> stops
> responding. Then the only way is to kill the mplayer process.

"clitch clatch !!!" doesn't tell us too much. Can you give us some of
MPlayer's verbose output by using the command line below:

mplayer -v <input file>

[snip]

> On 3rd May 2006 I have downloaded the cvs version. But that didn't
> crashed
> but still continued displaying coloured checks, and the -- clitch
> clatch
> sound. But after starting to display slanting coloured lines the movie
> continues playing as I can know from the sound. Also all the hot-keys
> worked. But the display remained in that condition even if I move
> to the
> good part using cursor keys.

Well, if MPlayer works, then what's the problem? You've already told
us the MPG was corrupted. This is all consistent with the side-
effects of a broken MPG file, not a broken MPlayer.

> Since I have dial up internet Its not possible for me to upload the
> sample.
> I have seen that about a 30 mb of file need to be uploaded for
> including
> some clear portion with the corrupted. But I am ready to help you.
> If you
> need any other info then please tell me the steps to generate the
> bug report
> except uploading the sample.

Well, just provide us with everything you can. But at this point,
it's looking more to me like a problem with the input file, not MPlayer.