[MPlayer-users] corrupted movie file crashes mplayer

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Wed May 3 23:58:25 CEST 2006

Sandip Khara wrote:
> Hello mplayer team,
> Mplayer is my most favourite movie player. I have been using version
> 1.0pre7for a long time. It played quite well with all files. The only
> problem was
> with a corrupted mpg file --- independence_day.mpg. This has been copied
> from a rented CD. A very little portion of the file except the rest is
> corrupted and there I just see colouring checks and sounds like ---- clitch
> clatch !!! Then I just see slanting coloured lines and the mplayer stops
> responding. Then the only way is to kill the mplayer process. The same file
> when played by xine, it manages that portion by dropping frames. This
> message of frame dropping is given by xine as a warning pop up message box
> and on closing that window the rest part continues to play very smoothly. I
> tried to re-encode that file using mencoder. But it goes segmentation fault
> on reaching that bad part. While trying to encode with ffmpeg, it displayed
> frame motion out of boundary message, but didn't crashed. I have also tried
> the rpm. There also the same problem existed.
> On 3rd May 2006 I have downloaded the cvs version. But that didn't crashed
> but still continued displaying coloured checks, and the -- clitch clatch
> sound. But after starting to display slanting coloured lines the movie
> continues playing as I can know from the sound. Also all the hot-keys
> worked. But the display remained in that condition even if I move to the
> good part using cursor keys.
> Since I have dial up internet Its not possible for me to upload the sample.
> I have seen that about a 30 mb of file need to be uploaded for including
> some clear portion with the corrupted. But I am ready to help you. If you
> need any other info then please tell me the steps to generate the bug
> report
> except uploading the sample.

Maybe try using some combination of one or more of these options:
-demuxer lavf
-afm ffmpeg
-vfm ffmpeg

Whether that works or not, though, it would be nice to have a sample of
your file that shows the problem. Presumably the file is corrupted, of
course, but someone might want to see if it's possible to handle the bad
data better.

Are you sure you can't narrow down the section to less than 30 MB?

Can you burn part of the file to a CD and carry it to
work/school/somewhere with a faster Internet connection?

-Corey