[POOL] Moderate some users (was: Re: [MPlayer-users] Re: divx 6)

Jason Tackaberry tack at urandom.ca
Wed May 3 23:04:49 CEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 07:57 +0200, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> I propose to put Rich in the "moderated users" list. That may delay
> his messages by a good 24h in extreme cases (if I don't have access to
> a computer during that time), which would mean that good or bad posts
> will be held for moderation.
[...]
> Now people, please vote!

I vote no.  Rich is undeniably one of the most abrasive and opinionated
people I've ever seen in a mailing list, but he's not a troll (strictly
speaking) and his contributions to mplayer are considerable.  And
usually once you do s/nonsense|idiot//g on his posts you get some
meaningful information.

I think that only the other core project contributors really have a
right to "vote Rich off the island."  I know that if something similar
had happened to me, no matter how much of an asshole I knew I was, I
would flip the collective list the bird and not make a single further
contribution to the project.

The consequence is that the generally sour impression of the mplayer
community will be perpetuated.  Rich is a huge contributor to that
impression, but he's not the only one, and moderating his posts isn't
likely to solve anything except start a different kind of war.

Cheers,
Jason.