[MPlayer-users] Create tile faster than real-time?

Jon Drukman jsd at cluttered.com
Fri Mar 31 03:11:22 CEST 2006

I'm trying to create 4x4 "contact sheets" of thumbnails for movie files.
  I've got it to work using this command line:

~/mplayer -quiet -ao null -vo jpeg:outdir=test -vf
scale=180:135,framestep=341,tile=4:4:16 file.avi

I run identify to find the FPS and LENGTH, by which I derive the total
number of frames, then I use framestep so that I get 16 evenly-spaced
frames from the movie.  Unfortunately to run this, it takes the duration
of the movie.  It seems like it's playing "in real time" even though
there's no video output.  To transcode the video to another format takes
much less than the actual duration of the movie so I am pretty sure the
machine could go faster (it's beefy - dual opteron with plenty of RAM).

Any way to get it to go faster?

-jsd-