[MPlayer-users] Mplayer howto

Stefan Sassenberg stefan.sassenberg at gmx.de
Wed Mar 15 10:38:19 CET 2006

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> I'd recommend packman's packages. http://packman.links2linux.de/?action=128
> Note that they're still at 1.0pre7, which is quite old now. You will run
> into some problems that have already been fixed in CVS, so even if you are
> a beginner, you are encouraged to learn and try to compile your own MPlayer
> from CVS. The instructions are at the bottom of the download page:
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html#cvs

I'd like to add that I'm not at all lucky with the CVS version because
it behaves different than the release. The instructions are surely
incomplete and this list didn't help me to make mplayer run as intended.
Read the whole (short) story at
http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2006-February/058511.html. I
cannot recommend using the CVS for Linux beginners. I'm using Linux for
years now and call myself a software developer.

If my problems with mplayer are very specific and/or my problems with
the list are caused by me, please let me know.

Stefan