[MPlayer-users] Cut First Part of Movie

n0dalus n0dalus at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 01:46:17 CET 2006

On 3/4/06, The Wanderer <inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:

> There are technical reasons why this has not been, and perhaps cannot
> be, done (although I forget the details just at the moment). If you
> think that it can be done regardless, then the onus is on you to explain
> how or, preferably and more effectively, send a patch.

I don't really know how hard it would be to write, but is there some
way of making mplayer do accurate seeking by using null outputs? So,
in this case it would jump in the video to the keyframe before the
desired frame, then go through the normal process of "playing" the
video and audio, as quickly as it can and without outputting any of
it. Then when it gets to the right frame, it starts outputting. It
would be more CPU intensive, but I think a lot of computers could
handle it. It could also be used to seek in file formats that don't
support it. It could be another option like -slowseek or something,
and if used, certain seeking operations would become more accurate.
I'm not sure if -forceidx or one of the other options does something
similar already? -edl as RC said could be used, but it's only accurate
to the nearest keyframe.

If an -sf option was implemented, it could note in the man page that
without -slowseek it would just be an approximation (nearest
keyframe).

Just curious,
n0dalus.