[MPlayer-users] Bug with aspect ratio

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Sun Jun 25 19:30:31 CEST 2006

Arne Thönes wrote:
> Interesting, I used 16/10 and it doesn't work, which I already stated. I
> said that I need -aspect 4/3 or -monitoraspect 16/9 in order to fill the
> screen. If you don't want to believe me, fine, but that's how it is and
> don't tell me what should be or should not be, because it obviously isn't.
> I have the latest version for Windows and my monitor is the Dell 24"
> widescreen monitor.

no need to get picky.

If you have a 4:3-Video, on a 16x10-Display it will have black bars on
the side when keeping the aspect ratio intact. Otherwise (specifing
-monitoraspect 4/3, which is not the case on a 16/10-Display, mplayer
thinks you don't have square pixels and distorts the image in such a way
that the screen is filled entirely. If you have circles though, they
will appear as ellipses. if it is that what you want, then everything is
ok.

As long as you don't have a 16/10-video (unlikely to find) you'll always
get bars.

hth,
ALex