[MPlayer-users] Can Mencoder generate "mpeg-es" files with sound?

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sun Jun 18 07:32:54 CEST 2006

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 05:08:13 +0000
"hob4bit -" <hob4bit at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, thanks. I am very puzzled as to why Mencoder generated "mpeg-ps"
> cannot  play in Windows Media Player.

Well, 99% of the time it's asked, it's a case of user error.  Post the
command-line you're using to create these files, and I bet I can spot
the problem.

> I have some other "mpeg" files that do and they also  claim
> to be "mpeg-ps" according to "mplayer identify". Are there two
> different  types of "mpeg-ps" or WMP is very stupid?

mpeg-ps is just the container, it could be any of a number of
audio/video codecs or settings (1000fps) that WMP can't play.
And yes, WMP is very stupid.

Please don't top-post in the future.