[MPlayer-users] Bicubic scaling in vo_gl - does it ever work?

Reimar Doeffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Jun 14 14:21:57 CEST 2006

Hi,
On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 12:59:33AM +0400, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> Hi Reimar D?ffinger!
>  On 2006.06.13 at 22:25:25 +0200, Reimar D?ffinger wrote next:
> > Since I'm the maintainer for -vo gl you won't see anything like that for
> > stuff I implement - only on cvslog *g*
>
> Hm, I think you used to post messages about major changes in gl before.

Well, I usually post stuff before if I think it might break existing
stuff.

> Or how else people are supposed to know there is stuff that needs
> testing? It's clear that with current state of linux video drivers,
> gl stuff really needs to be tested on cards of other vendor...

I partially agree - but unless there is an obvious bug testing alone won't
help much, I doubt the previous problem would have been fixed any time
soon if they didn't have ATI cards here at university.

> No, the problem is not "scaler", the problem is "[l|c]". Since there are
> no links in man, searching is only option, and /lscale won't find you a
> thing. Really annoying.

I was too lazy to write two entries, thinking someone from the
documentation department will fix it sooner or later. Didn't realize
that this meant it won't be fixed for the release. Anyway, I'll change
it soon.

> As about lscale/cscale.. Well technically it runs, but the result is
> very ugly. Looks like broken texture or something. I attached two
> screenshots; they are artifacts from lscale. Artifacts from cscale are
> very similar, much less noticeable on most content, but still quite ugly
> on vivid color areas. FYI, it's 632x480 video scaled to 1600x1200.

I noticed these in early development stages, where they were caused by
some stupid bugs.
But with latest version I can't reproduce the problem on a ATI Radeon
X600 under windows XP.
To get us on common ground, could you please test the following command:
mplayer -vf test,crop=100:100:0:0 -geometry 1000x1000+0+0 -vo gl:yuv=2:
lscale=1 -rawvideo w=100:h=100 /dev/zero
(or any large file if /dev/zero is not available).

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger