[MPlayer-users] Debian "testing" vlc install and mplayer svn

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Mon Jun 12 17:08:47 CEST 2006

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 17:53:58 -0400
Sterling Sympatico <smacnay at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> If I install the Debian versions of these packages (they seem to be
> snapshots from about late April as of now), will it interfere with my
> coninued use and update of mplayer and ffmpeg svn?

Not likely.  The libraries "included" in the mplayer source tree are
statically linked to the binaries.

Run "ldd" on the mencoder and mplayer binaries you have installed, if it
doesn't show up in the list, it's _not_ using the system-wide library,
and you can upgrade or remove it as you like, with no effect on mplayer.