[MPlayer-users] Re: Re: How to change audio stream?

Kichigai Mentat kichigai at comcast.net
Tue Jan 24 06:37:50 CET 2006

On Jan 23, 2006, at 22.12, SeNS wrote:

> Hello, Sebastian!
> You wrote  on Sun, 22 Jan 2006 01:43:38 +0100:
>
> SK> ..because it's an avi..
>
> SK> I suppose you convert it to matroska (container). It's very
> easy and
> SK> you will be able to switch audio tracks on the fly via '#' in
> mplayer.
>
> I did conversion to matroska but resulting mkv file played with
> some problems (frame drop) on my dxr3-linux box. Yes, the sound
> streams switches perfectly (and it's very interesting effect :-)
> but video not acceptable :-(
Well, there are two other solutions.

The first is rather simple. If MKV doesn't suit your purposes (and I
don't know why that is) try using OGM. It's far pickier about the
formats it supports, and what it does and does not do, compared to
MKV, but it might work for your needs.

The second is probably less popular and has no promise of success.
Use VLC. Win/Mac/Lin versions have multiple audio track support, as
well as some of the nifty features of MKV (track naming, for one, but
lacks some of the other features, such as reading the informational
tags).

> I hope the mplayer developers can do that trick (I mean audio-track
> switching) with avi container... It will be great.
Probably never going to happen. AVI is, in computer age, ancient.
It's been around for more than 10 years, and is far antiquated for
such needs. I know that AVIs *can* contain multiple audio tracks, but
is that part of the AVI specification? I know that they're not
supposed to contain subtitles, attachments, etc. etc.

> WBR, SeNS

Top 10 things likely to be overheard if you had a Klingon Programmer:

10) Specifications are for the weak and timid!
9) You question the worthiness of my code?  I should kill you where
you stand!
8) Indentation?! - I will show you how to indent when I indent your
skull!
7) What is this talk of 'release'?  Klingons do not make software
'releases'. Our software 'escapes' leaving a bloody trail of
designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
6) Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have
'arguments' - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM.
5) Debugging?  Klingons do not debug.  Our software does not coddle
the weak.
4) A TRUE Klingon Warrior does not comment his code!
3) Klingon software does NOT have BUGS.  It has FEATURES, and those
features are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand.
2) You cannot truly appreciate Dilbert unless you've read it in the
original Klingon.
1) Our users will know fear and cower before our software!  Ship it!
Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!