[MPlayer-users] DirectVobSub Supported?

Muhammad Ichsan ichsan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 12:07:07 CET 2006

2006/1/9, Phil Oleynik <Oleynik.Phil at mail.ioffe.ru>:
> Muhammad Ichsan wrote:
>
> >Hi All!
> >
> >I'm using both Windows and Linux. I wonder why I can't play subtitle
> >with style (color, position, italic, bold etc) on mplayer. I have this
> >.srt file but what I saw when using mplayer was the tag kept
> >unprocessed.
> >
> >This is my .srt file (I got from someone recommended me using
> >DirectVobSub and VSFilter v.2.35)
> >
> Actually, your .SRT is possibly an .SSA converted to SubRipper
> format, since AFAIK no app is capable to create and edit and
> save such SRT. SubResync can save  such file, but editing
> features of it are doubtful. The best way is to use original .SSA
> so that all tags will be removed by mplayer.
> To display colorful subtitles in SSA format in mplayer, currently
> only mpssa application exists. It is not well developed, so
> I cannot say it's a good way.

The most thing I hate about are the paranthesis

{\cFFFFCC\fnArial Black\fs18\a5}<u>Koi Ni Ochitara Episode 8: New
president of Hills</u>

The paranthesis force the one subtitle go above while the next
subtitle can immediately be shown to help translation below. This
means overlapping subtitle without closing previous subtitle. In case
of mplayer, this subtitle is not positioned above and the next
subtitles that overlap it unable to appear until that subtitle over.

If mplayer currently not able to handle these paranthesis, is there
any posibilty that the future mplayer can handle this problem? This
subtitle IMHO important, because while the subtitles giving us
information about place or term information (of course about the
movie) appear above, we can still see the subtitle below.

Thanks for the replay.

~VivaMplayerAndBeNumberOneMediaPlayerOnEarth