[MPlayer-users] Having trouble producing mpeg from mov

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Jan 5 18:37:50 CET 2006

Philip Walden wrote:

> I am trying to convert some mov files with no audio to mpeg for
> better compression.
>
> When do:
>
> mencoder -of mpeg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=msmpeg4v2 -o
> PC290052.mpg PC290052.MOV
>
> and try mplayer to see the result I get:
>
> Playing PC290052.mpg.
> Win32 LoadLibrary failed to load: avisynth.dll,
> /usr/lib/win32/avisynth.dll, /usr/local/lib/win32/avisynth.dll
> MPEG: Missing video stream!? Contact the author, it may be a bug :(
> libavformat file format detected.
> LAVF: no audio or video headers found - broken file?
>
> When I drop the "-of mpeg" option (which I understand now creates an
> avi container) the result can be played back with mplayer. [In
> addition I can real player, window media player to play it, but
> quicktime lock up! separate issue]
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Below is the mencoder log with the "-of mpeg" option that appears to
> cause the problem.
> =====================================
>
> $ mencoder -of mpeg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=msmpeg4v2 -o
> PC290052.mpg PC290052.MOV

<snip>

> Writing AVI header...

Okay, this is a problem right there. Since you specified -of mpeg, there
should be no "AVI header" involved. I do not get a corresponding message
with the same set of options and a random MOV file I happen to have
sitting around (for which I specify -noaudio to duplicate your situation
as closely as possible). This is with MPlayer/MEncoder from CVS as of
the 27th.

If I try to play the resulting file with no MPlayer options, I get the
same messages you do up through "may be a bug", then it falls back on
XMMS plugins trying to demux the file. If I explicitly specify -demuxer
35, I then get the "broken file?" message you describe.

I suspect that the MEncoder output you gave and the MEncoder command
line you provided do not go with one another. However, the problem
appears to exist regardless.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.