[MPlayer-users] OpenGL vsync

Jason Tackaberry tack at sault.org
Mon Jan 2 16:07:36 CET 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 11:34 +0100, Thomas Börkel wrote:
> I'd like to have proper vsync while playing on TV-out of my NVidia FX 5200.

The main motivation for this, of course, is to be able to view
interlaced video on tv-out and have it work properly.  The real problem
is that the card doesn't seem to be able to pass the frame unfettered to
the tv.  It always seems to do underscanning to some degree.  Even at
its maximum "Overscan" setting of 25, there seems to still be some
slight underscanning.  Unless the line sampling corresponds exactly to
the lines of the tv, it just can't work.  This is the first obstacle;
sync to vblank is the second; getting the gl2 vo to work correcty with
vsync is the third (since I don't think this just automatigically
happens when you enable vsync in the opengl settings).

Of course this is on my GF440MX.  It might be a different story with
other cards.  Please let me know if it is.

> Maybe you can have a look at MythTV (www.mythtv.org). They have
> implemented proper vsync with XV and OpenGL (using OpenGL for syncing).

I looked at this code a while ago too, when I was on my hopeless crusade
to do get interlaced video working properly on my tv-out.  I couldn't
get this code to work at all.  I assumed that my card didn't support it.

Cheers,
Jason.