[MPlayer-users] OpenGL vsync

Thomas Börkel thomas at boerkel.de
Tue Jan 3 08:04:14 CET 2006

HI!

Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 11:34 +0100, Thomas Börkel wrote:
>> I'd like to have proper vsync while playing on TV-out of my NVidia FX 5200.
>
> The main motivation for this, of course, is to be able to view
> interlaced video on tv-out and have it work properly.  The real problem

Right.

> is that the card doesn't seem to be able to pass the frame unfettered to
> the tv.  It always seems to do underscanning to some degree.  Even at
> its maximum "Overscan" setting of 25, there seems to still be some
> slight underscanning.  Unless the line sampling corresponds exactly to
> the lines of the tv, it just can't work.  This is the first obstacle;

Some people have said, they were able to get this to work with the
NVidia drivers. You have to use newer versions of the driver and have
the right modeline. Then the card should go into some passthrough mode,
where the TV out chip does not fiddle with the picture.

I am still using an older version of the driver and a resolution of 800x600.

> sync to vblank is the second; getting the gl2 vo to work correcty with
> vsync is the third (since I don't think this just automatigically
> happens when you enable vsync in the opengl settings).

According to the mplayer FAQ, it should work that way. Have you tried
the nvidia-settings program, that comes with newer driver versions (at
least since 6629)?

> Of course this is on my GF440MX.  It might be a different story with
> other cards.  Please let me know if it is.

Many MythTV users are using this card AFAIK and are happy with it.

>> Maybe you can have a look at MythTV (www.mythtv.org). They have
>> implemented proper vsync with XV and OpenGL (using OpenGL for syncing).
>
> I looked at this code a while ago too, when I was on my hopeless crusade
> to do get interlaced video working properly on my tv-out.  I couldn't
> get this code to work at all.  I assumed that my card didn't support it.

As I said, many MythTV users are using that card. Besides the scaling
(800x600 -> 720x576), I am pretty happy now with my MythTV picture on
TV, since using OpenGL vsync (enabled in MythTV), XV and Bob
deinterlacing. This is *way* better than previously, when using no
vsync, XV and kernel deinterlacing. And so, I'd like to have the same
with mplayer.

Thomas