[MPlayer-users] Unknown suboption lavf

David Liontooth liontooth at cogweb.net
Wed Feb 15 21:59:11 CET 2006

Hi Guillaume,

Thank you for the build instructions; this is extremely useful.

Guillaume POIRIER wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On 2/15/06, RC <rcooley at spamcop.net> wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 00:59:09 -0800
>>David Liontooth <liontooth at cogweb.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Am I missing something?
>>>

>>Yes.  The fact that the online documentation matches up with current
>>CVS, not with the last released version.
>>
>>"-of lavf" was introduced only after 1.0pre7 was released.
>>

>I do not agree with you, I think it was already present in pre7,
>though I'll not dig the CVS repo to back this statement with proofs :)
>
>The thing is that lavf was not working too well at that time anyhow,
>and it's  very possible that most packagers didn't build MPlayer with
>lavf.
>
>Well, it is a big problem here :)

Wait -- what is a problem? That lavf was not working that well before
obviously isn't a problem anymore. Do you mean it's a problem that it's
still not working well, or just that most packagers still don't build
MPlayer with lavf?

Are there downsides to building MPlayer with the libavcodec, libavformat
and libavutil libraries from FFmpeg? Any reason not to do it? Or do you
recommend everyone, including packagers, include these libraries?

Dave