[MPlayer-users] tv:// -> no sound

Don Koch aardvark at krl.com
Mon Feb 13 21:50:34 CET 2006

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 15:12:01 +0100
Nico Sabbi wrote:

> Don Koch wrote:
> > Try using tvtime.  I've never gotten mplayer to find the line in on
> > the audio card using both oss and alsa devices.  I even tried a recent
> > cvs download.  Tvtime seems to have no problem whatsoever.  My
> > conclusion: mplayer's audio handling is broken.
> >
> > Good luck.
> >
> > -d
> >

> It's not, I use it every day, although I admit it's hard to get running.
> BTW, I could never find the way to instruct tvtime to use the audio DMA
> (rather than line-in). How can I do it?

Don't know; it depends on the card, for one.  My card, HDTV-3000, doesn't
appear to support direct audio.  You need to have the VIDEO_CX88_ALSA
module compiled into your kernel.  See the thread on this.

As far as getting audio from line-in, there might be some magic that
I've missed.  I've read the documentation (such as it is); I've seen
other threads regarding this issue and tried frobbing all the knobs
they've suggested, but to no avail.  The latest build of mplayer does
play the h.264 stuff I've see recently that I haven't gotten running
with other players.  I'd like to use it to record off-the-air stuff for
playing back later (it seg-faults whenever I try this, but I'll look at
that problem after I get audio working).

-d