[MPlayer-users] roughly .25 second delay in playback of avi files

Tilman Kranz tilman.kranz at tk-sls.de
Thu Feb 2 06:06:14 CET 2006

Ed Sweetman wrote:
> It is definitely tied to alsa, as oss which is running on top of alsa
> works fine, no desyncs.  So there seems to be some sort of buffer issue
> with the alsa driver.
> my card is :
>
> 0 [CK804          ]: NFORCE - NVidia CK804
>                      NVidia CK804 with ALC850 at 0xc8103000, irq 225
>
> This is an nforce4 onboard chipset from the Asus A8N-E.

FYI:

I use MPlayer CVS. I have had problems with CVS ALSA recently using
nForce2 onboard audio on a 686 system of Debian testing/unstable.

I had a periodical skipping of roughly .25 seconds period with
mplayer -ao alsa, all sound went "tac - tac - tac - tac - ...".

Until then I had used distribution packaged ALSA lib and utils.

I removed lib and utils provided by my distribution. I installed
CVS ALSA libs and utils and recompiled MPlayer.

Since then, everything works again.