[MPlayer-users] roughly .25 second delay in playback of avi files

Ed Sweetman safemode at comcast.net
Thu Feb 2 03:25:42 CET 2006

Reimar Döffinger wrote:

>Hi,
>On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 10:05:28PM -0500, Ed Sweetman wrote:
>

>>The problem is, playback of media either encoded by mencoder or
>>transcode or virtualdub is played back at about a quarter of a second
>>off, almost always the audio precedes the video.  I played with
>>

>Even though it is unlikely (an I start looking like bashing ALSA is my
>favourite - well, maybe it is :-P), try with -ao oss, too.

It is definitely tied to alsa, as oss which is running on top of alsa
works fine, no desyncs.  So there seems to be some sort of buffer issue
with the alsa driver.

my card is :

 0 [CK804          ]: NFORCE - NVidia CK804
                      NVidia CK804 with ALC850 at 0xc8103000, irq 225

This is an nforce4 onboard chipset from the Asus A8N-E.

Though, it's probably not card specific, since aoss works without any av
sync issues.  Seems that the alsa driver needs some fine tuning in
mplayer.

If any further info is needed i'd be more than happy to give it.