[MPlayer-users] mplayer and cron

Ambrosius Nihilo evaristegalois at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 22 03:13:05 CET 2006

Here is something odd I'd like to ask about. I am only an end user of
mplayer and don't know much about it. One thing it used to do very well for
me is record Austrian public radio at a certain time schedule. All I had to
do was to put the following two lines in my crontab:

43 14 21 12 * /usr/bin/mplayer -noframedrop -dumpfile /directory/test.ram
-dumpstream mms://stream4.orf.at/oe1-wort
44 14 21 12 * killall mplayer

And I'd have the broadcast recorded in test.ram. A couple weeks ago,
however, it started no longer working. The output file was always only ten
seconds long as if an invisible hand stopped mplayer 10 seconds after it
started recording. I tried the command

/usr/bin/mplayer -noframedrop -dumpfile /directory/test.ram -dumpstream
mms://stream4.orf.at/oe1-wort

on the command line by hand and it worked without a problem (longer than ten
seconds until I killed it by hand).

Are there any diagnostic tests or solutions you can suggest?

--evaristegalois