[MPlayer-users] Re: Why can't I watch HD videos?

Tobias Diedrich ranma at tdiedrich.de
Sat Dec 9 09:51:00 CET 2006

Attila Kinali wrote:

> You hit here the I/O bandwidth barrier. The resolution is
> now getting so high that transfering it to the graphics card
> takes too much time. The only workaround for this problem
> is to use DMA, but i don't know of any X11 driver that supports
> this.
>
> Alternatively, if you would have a second CPU, you could
> let it work as "DMA controller" (ie, X will then run on
> the second process, in parallel to the MPlayer process)
> which gives about 10-20% advantage in speed.

Well, 1080p h264 works over here with some preparation:

Use performance cpufreq governor:
"echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor"
"mplayer -cache 65536 -vf-clr -lavdopts skiploopfilter=nonref syriana_h1080p.mov"

Still, some 100% CPU-Usage spikes now and then, but it plays without
any "Error while decoding frame!" messages that like to pop up if
the cpu is too slow.

System:
AMD64 3200+ (2000 MHz), Radeon X300 (r300 driver)

--
Tobias						PGP: http://9ac7e0bc.uguu.de
このメールは十割再利用されたビットで作られています。