[MPlayer-users] which video output codec with pvr// ?

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sat Dec 9 04:06:11 CET 2006

On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 04:00:46 +0100
"Colin Brace" <cb at lim.nl> wrote:

> -ovc lavc produces rather poor results, with a lot of compression
> artifacts; moreover, it requires a lot CPU time.

Read the docs.

> -oac copy doesn't require much CPU time at all, which is what I would
> expect, but when I try to open the output file in vlc, the latter
> complains:
>
>   main decoder error: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `   '.
>   VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.

You're putting MPEG-2 video in an AVI file, which is non-standard, and
unplayable by most.

> but I couldn't determine from the man page how to save an MPEG output
> file using mplayer

-dumpstream would work, but why would you possibly want to do this?

> Any pointers on the best way to go about this?

Yes, don't.  The IVTV driver provides a regular MPEG stream from
/dev/video0, just save that to a file.  There's no reason to involve
MPlayer at all.