[MPlayer-users] which video output codec with pvr// ?

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Sat Dec 9 04:00:46 CET 2006

Hello,

After some experimentation, I have got mencoder working my PVR-150
card, but it is unclear to me which is the best -ovc parameter to use.
-ovc lavc produces rather poor results, with a lot of compression
artifacts; moreover, it requires a lot CPU time. -oac copy doesn't
require much CPU time at all, which is what I would expect, but when I
try to open the output file in vlc, the latter complains:

  main decoder error: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `   '.
  VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.

-oac raw likewise doesn't work.

Maybe it is not necessary to use mencoder with a PVR card, given it
does its own encoding, but I couldn't determine from the man page how
to save an MPEG output file using mplayer (I want to record the video
output). Any pointers on the best way to go about this?

Thanks.

--
  Colin Brace
  Amsterdam