[MPlayer-users] Extract .srt file from DVD

Muhammad Ichsan ichsan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 05:52:49 CEST 2006

On 8/22/06, Rickard Närström <rickard.narstrom at gmail.com> wrote:
> tisdag 22 augusti 2006 14:27 skrev Muhammad Ichsan:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > Is there any way to extract subtitle file from DVD with mplayer or
> > mencoder? I've been googling but nothing found. I would like to
> > extract directly from DVD than saving the vobs to my disk first. Is
> > there any way?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> No MPlayer can't extract it to .srt, but idx/sub, ex:
> $ mplayer dvd://1 -dumpsub -vobsubout vobsub
>
> This will creata a vobsub.idx and a vobsub.sub --- Note: this is image data --
> each subtitle is stored as a image.
>

> To convert vobsub to SubRipper (.srt) I usually use subtittleripper
> http://subtitleripper.sourceforge.net/
>
> There are tre tools you use to convert the subtitles:
> 1. vobsub2pgm -- this vill extract all images from the .sub file and create
> one file for each image.
>
> 2. pgm2txt -- this will convert the images to text using OCR (some words may
> end up misspelled)
>
> 2. srttool -- this will put all the txt files togetter to one .srt file.
>
> (timestemps are in step 1 extrakted form the .idx file in an other file, to be
> merged to the finnaly .srt file in step 3)
>

> More info:
> http://bunkus.org/dvdripping4linux/en/single/index.html#subtitles_text
>
> thay use transcode and subtitle2pgm instead of mplayer and vobsub2pgm... the
> other steps are the same.
> ____________________________

Thanks a lot. I'm currenty in step of converting image to text with
gocr. But what should I answer to these lines (my comment is in #):

# this should be X
@@@@@......@@@@.
.@@@@.....@@@@@.
..@@@@....@@@@..
..@@@@...@@@@...
...@@@@..@@@@...
...@@@@.@@@@....<
....@@@@@@@@....
....@@@@@@@.....
.....@@@@@@.....
.....@@@@@......
.....@@@@@......
.....@@@@@@.....
....@@@@@@@.....
....@@@@@@@@....
...@@@@.@@@@....
...@@@@..@@@@...
..@@@@...@@@@...
..@@@@....@@@@..
.@@@@.....@@@@..
@@@@@......@@@@.
@@@@.......@@@@@
@@@.........@@@@<-
The upper char was not recognized. Enter correct ASCII char, "string"
or 4 to 8 digit hex unicode:

===================
# This  should be "rt"
............ at ...-
...........@@...
.........@@@@...
.........@@@@...
.........@@@@...
@@@..@@@@@@@@@@.<
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@....@@@@...
@@@@.....@@@@...
@@@@.....@@@@...
@@@@.....@@@@...
@@@@.....@@@@...
@@@@.....@@@@...
The upper char was not recognized. Enter correct ASCII char, "string"
or 4 to 8 digit hex unicode:

Thanks a lot