[MPlayer-users] creating thumbnail-screenshots of movies

Marco Trudel mtrudel at gmx.ch
Tue Aug 22 16:04:12 CEST 2006

Hello list

I'm work with MPlayer 1.0pre8 on Windows and I'm trying to create
thumbnails-screenshots that have a maximum width and height of 100. I
currently use this command:

mplayer.exe -frames 2 -vo jpeg -zoom -xy 100 movie.mpg

BTW: I make two frames because I noticed that on some codecs, the first
picture is always empty (completly black)...
Back to the problem: If there will ever be a video, where the height is
bigger than the width, the height will get bigger than 100px.
"-vf scale" doesn't seem to be able to keep the aspect ratio. "-dsize
100:100:2" does exactly what I need when playing a video, but it seems
to be ignored on creating jpegs...setting.

So, how to create screenshots that have a max height and max width of
100 and keep the correct aspect ratio?

Any help really appreciated. And if some developpers read this: great
work this MPlayer! thanks for it...

regards
Marco